About Me

My photo
I live in La, work full time and dabble in art when ever I can. I would love to be able to do my art full time--who knows, maybe one day I will. In the past year, I started doing Festivals, trying to sell my Art. It is A LOT of work, but worth it. I have met so many people with the same interests as myself.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Antiques and Recipes

I had a "surprise" day Saturday.  We got up and went shopping.  In my house, that is really rare--especially for a Saturday  I guess we are all so busy during the week that when we finally get home Friday night, we don't want to leave the house again until Monday morning.  Saturday was a sales tax holiday--No La. state sales tax!!  So, since we have been needing a generator for the camper we decided that it would be a good time to go get one.  We went to this little town call Minden.  We didn't get the generator (not Sat. anyway--long story) but did manage to hit some flea markets and antique stores.  Here are some of the things that I found.  An old vintage hand crocheted throw.  It is double size.  It has a few spots that needs to be repaired.  I only paid $7.00 for it.  When I got it, there was quite a bit of yellowing on it.  An old man in the store told me to soak it in a Woolite mixture, it would remove the yellowing.  I did and it did.  I let it soak in the bathtub all day and overnight in a fairly strong mixture of  woolite (about 3 times normal strength) and it worked.  I also found a little coffee grinder--I know, bad pic!.  I have a thing for coffee grinders and have them scattered all over my kitchen.  I just love them for some reason and the older the better. I also found an old ironing board.  It is small and I am not exactly sure what it was used for, but I liked it and I bought it.
 In the picture below you see a Noma Lantern.  I wasn't sure what it was used for but after researching found out that it was used in WWII--it was used for a low light lantern.  The glass container inside can be turned and it is three different colors-red, green and clear.  I guess I got a good deal on mine.  I paid $4.00 and the one on line that I found was $40.00.  I bought it because I had never seen one before and it was so vintage.

 This is Archie (Archie Goober) for short.  He is my oldest.  He came from McDonalds parking lot about 12 years ago (hence the name "Archie" --you know, the "Golden Arches"-- and he was about 3 when I found him.  I get silly with him and call him the "ubber goober".
 This is a picture of my craft room door.  I keep the door propped open because it is usually just me in there.  I have a shelf on the door that holds some of my goodies.  While at Good Will (aka willies) I found this funky string door. I thought that it would work perfect for that door- and, Viola! it does.
 This is also one of my weekend finds.  A travel easel.  It has a drawer (you can barely see it opened up on the other side). Maybe it will encourage me to paint "En Plein Air", or in "open air"-which ever you prefer. I have wanted to for some time--Just have to get around to it!
 This is a picture of a hand carved stamp. How awesome is that!  I have never seen one like this before.  I love the beautiful details.

 This is "Steam Punk Suzy"--She is on my worktable right now.  She is almost done.
 This is "Caretaker Pete" --He is not finished yet, but he is getting closer.
 My husband and I bought this little old house several years ago.  We  are going to remodel it--maybe going to get started this fall.  It is on our property but we aren't living in it.  One day though, it is going to be my dream home.  If you look at the front of it, you can see grape vines up under the windows and even onto the front porch. 


This is what it ended up being--2 nice sized wreaths.  After about  two hours of struggling and pulling and sweating and tussling and fussing--2 wreaths.  HOW MUCH DO THEY COST IF YOU BUY'EM? Guess I'm just that kinda girl. If it can be done--I am gonna do it.  You CAN'T just cut the vines and throw them away-no siree.  I can make somethin' out of them.  Give me some gloves and clippers, I'll show ya!  LOL, usually I have my BF over and we have a "wreath making" session and I laugh so much at her tussling and grunting that I don't notice all the pulling and tugging.................but, this year I did it alone :(--And Now I HAVE to give her one.  Now, that is a friend.  I pull and tug and wrestle to build the wreaths and she gets one?  How nice is that.  Kinda like Gallagher (do you guys remember him) he says" these friends were climbing up the mountain and one of them carries all these clinkin' beer bottles in his backpack  up the mountain.  When they finally get to the top, he takes the beer out of his backpack to celebrate and the other ones say "hey, where is my beer"??????????? Aren't those "your beers"??  Gotta love Gallagher!! (If you're readin' this Lynn, I am just pulling your string!!!  :)


 

 The picture above is of a Spinach Quiche.  I tried it Saturday.  It was from a recipe on the "Remodelholics" blog.  Here is the link http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/09/spinach-quiche-and-recipe-link-up-party/.  It was divine and hubby liked it also.  It lasted for two nights and was good even after reheating.  Below is a picture of my spaghetti squash.  I planted some this year.  It was the first time I have planted them but they are so good and I love them so much that after paying nearly $9.00 for one last summer, I saved the seeds from it and they grew. Cut them in half, clean them, bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Put butter and brown sugar in them and they are delicious.

 The picture below is of Zucchini Casserole.  I made that Sunday for Mondays dinner and, that too, was wonderful.  It also came from Remodelholic's web site.  The link is here .  That too, was very good warmed up and, like the Quiche, hubby loved it too.


 And, of course, no blog would be complete without the pictures of my kiddos.
 Big John......... MY fuzzy-wuzzie lover boy.
Lenore--AKA Lennie Penny

Shay--AKA Sugar Bugger


Archie--AKA "ubber Goober"

3 comments:

  1. Well first and foremost, Thank you so much for the wreath! And it's your own fault, pulling vines without me! First year, in how many years? LOL, guess I will pull by myself next year and you can sit in the shade sipping tea! Love all your finds, and love all the boys and girls! gotta see my Shay,Shay this weekend, Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say when you write a blog post you WRITE a blog post! LOL! Thanks for sharing!!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, my blog is my drop-off point for everything that goes on around me. Thanks for dropping by. Good to hear from you!

    xoxo Faye

    ReplyDelete

Comments